I initially tested Crowdrender by adding my laptop as a remote node. Since my use case is typically the reverse (desktop as remote), I copied my blend file to my laptop but when I attempted to render, it never completed. After poking around a bit, I discovered that the local node lists my desktop GPUs (two 980s) as well as my laptop (1050 Ti):
The issue persists after deleting the Crowdrender directory in my user data folder (all settings were still loaded when I opened the file). This seems to indicate the settings are stored in each .blend file.
I propose the following changes:
- Enumerate compute devices on file load.
- Compare with list of saved compute devices.
- If a mismatch is found,
-- Revert to the default compute device (CPU).
-- Issue a warning notification under "this machine:" saying "WARNING: Compute device change detected! Please select new compute devices."
-- After user does so and presses OK, prompt the user to save the file to commit the changes.